Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Thursday, August 28, 2008

HISTORIC!




The AP reports that Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) has officially become the presidential nominee of the Democratic party.


“I have been asked to inform you that Senator Obama accepts the nomination and will deliver his acceptance speech tomorrow night at the fourth night of the convention to be held at Invesco field,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) announced today.


Obama is the first African-American nominee of a major political party and will accept the nomination on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King’s “I Have A Dream” speech.
Congratulations America! This is truly a wonderous time. I am so pleased that I have lived to see this, and I am so proud that it is the Democratic Party that has nominated this remarkable man as its standard bearer. And I'm equally pleased that Joe Biden is his VP choice.
Tonight, on the 45th anniversary of Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech, Barack Obama will give his acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium in Denver.
All of us; all Americans can be proud of this.

1 comment:

Patrick M said...

It is historic. Whether I think the GOP should have done it first or whether I like the particular candidate, I am proud that this country finally got to this point.