Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

Thursday, September 3, 2026

Wendell Erdman Berry (August 5, 1934 – August 31, 2026)

 





One of my favorites, Wendell Berry.


"Critics and scholars have acknowledged Wendell Berry as a master of many literary genres, but whether he is writing poetry, fiction, or essays, his message is essentially the same: humans must learn to live in harmony with the natural rhythms of the earth or perish."


THE PEACE OF WILD THINGS

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

3 comments:

Les Carpenter said...

A beautifull poem. It was discussed this morning by Lama Willa during our early morning session in retreat.

Lama Willa's father included Berry among his circle of friends.

If allowed (heard) Nature speaks much wisdom. If we take the time to listen.

Non dual reality...

Shaw Kenawe said...

That is so nice to hear Les.. Yes I enjoy his poems very much because of how he shows our relationship to nature and what we learned from it and that we are part of it not apart from it. I have another one posted on my Facebook page that really struck my heart when I read it.

Shaw Kenawe said...

PS. How many of us look up at the daytime sky and think of the, “day – blind stars? “. So beautiful.