Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A LOOK AT WHO PREDICTED HEALTH CARE REFORM WAS DEAD:

Before you read the list of the doomers on health care, go over to Green Eagle's blog and read about the Republican press conference that was held this morning before the signing of the bill.  h/t Parsley's Pics


Boehner on "Meet the Press" -- September 20, 2009
"So you think the plan is dead?" asked host David Gregory.
"I think it is," said Boehner.

Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) - March 12, 2008
"I've been being asked that question over the last couple days, and to be honest with you, I don't think they can pass the bill... I don't even think we need to be talking about 'after they pass it' because they don't have the votes right now..."

Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) - February 25, 2010
"We have to continue the fight to make sure [it is dead]," Cantor says, "but all signs indicate now they cannot pass this in the House."

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) - January 19, 2010
"I think you can make a pretty good argument that health care might be dead."

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) - January 20, 2010
"I think the measure that would have passed, that is, some compromise between the House and Senate bill, which I would have voted for, although there were some aspects of both bills I would have liked to see change, I think that's dead."

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) - January 20, 2010
"If [Martha Coakley] loses, [health care] over."

Rep. Dan Boren (D-OK) - March 3, 2010
"I think the votes are not there and I don't see where we get them."

The media also jumped the gun on health care's impending death or, at the very least, misread the tea leaves.

Chris Matthews - January 19, 2010
"It's that rare election where voters know exactly what they're voting on. If they're with Democrat Martha Coakleyl, they get health care reform. If they go for Republican Scott Brown it's deliberate, premeditated murder for health care!"

Fred Barnes, The Weekly Standard - January 20, 2010
"The health care bill, ObamaCare, is dead with not the slightest prospect of resurrection. Brown ran to be the 41st vote for filibuster and now he is just that. Democrats have talked up clever strategies to pass the bill in the Senate despite Brown, but they won't fly. It's one thing for ObamaCare to be rejected by the American public in poll after poll. But it becomes a matter of considerably greater political magnitude when ObamaCare causes the loss of a Senate race in the blue state of Massachusetts."

Reason magazine - January 22, 2010
"Health Care Is Dead--Just Don't Tell the Left"

George Stephanopoulos - January 19, 2010
"I think most Democrats right now would agree with Congressman Barney Frank, a loyal supporter of the president, who said that health reform in this form is likely dead if Coakley loses."

Andrew Sullivan - January 19, 2010
"What comes next will be a real test for [President Barack] Obama... I suspect serious health insurance reform is over for yet another generation."

Karl Rove - March 15, 2010
"I -- you know, look. It's a 40-60 shot, 40 percent that they pass it, 60 they don't. But on the other hand, I don't count out the speaker of the House and her ability to sway votes. As you say, it's 211-220 today.


"You know, they're going to try and find some additional vote -- they're going to lose some additional votes and then they're going to try and find some additional votes. And it's going to be one wild week to watch it."

h/t HuffPost

14 comments:

Sue said...

I would get sooooo angry when democrats would go on TV and say HC reform was dead! I wonder now if it was reverse psychology being used on the thugs.

Pamela Zydel said...

Shaw: No one had a crystal ball so it was mental masturbation for anyone to "predict" the outcome. I didn't listen to any of them because I knew it could go for or against, depending on the day, weather or who they were asking.

Although I DO have a crystal ball but it "shows" me what I WANT to see so that doesn't count!

Shaw Kenawe said...

We remember what the pundits and politicians say only when they get it right--which is rarely, and tend to forget when they get it wrong, which is often.

It's the same with people who go to palm readers to see what's in store for them in the future.

Leslie Parsley said...

Personally, I think it's only human for people who've worked so hard to deflate from time to time. OTO, I think those who are against something will stay that way.

Having said that, I realize everyone is ga-ga over Weiner. However, I see "opportunist" written all over his forehead.

Arthurstone said...

Politics is like sports.

A national pastime and often interesting for its value as spectacle. And as an arena for endless conjecture, analysis and opinion.

But there's a reason they play the games.

And there's a reason we have a vote.

BB-Idaho said...

Well dang, I was sure William "Always Wrong' Kristol would be on that list...

libhom said...

They were correct. Health reform died some time ago. Instead we got a huge wealthcare bill for the HMOs and insurance companies.

Anonymous said...

what a freeakn joke you are Shaw.

Shaw Kenawe said...

"Anonymous said...
what a freeakn joke you are Shaw."

Anonymous, most commenters have the cajones to use a real linkable name, cowards and bullies don't.

I'm not impressed with your little cri de coeur.

Leslie Parsley said...

Shaw, I just don't know what's wrong with that cowardly a-hole. I take you quite seriously myself but I think you're witty as hell. Have you ever noticed how cowards don't have the intelligence to have a sense of humor?

Shaw Kenawe said...

Thanks, Leslie. Anonymous person doesn't really bother me--people like that are wussies. the only way to feel powerful is for them to drop anonymous comments in people's blogs. LOL! Wow! That's scarey!

We Libs need to stick together--support each others' blogs.

I appreciate that you and others take the time to come here.

I will continue to do the same at your blogs.

PS. Congrats to us on the win.

Professor Chaos said...

A lot of the same people who were dead wrong in public on Iraq and still have their opinions taken seriously.

Dave Miller said...

Professor Chaos, isn't that the truth???

It is interesting that in light of what we now know about Iraq, they either lied, or as you pointed out, were wrong on most major decisions.

So I will be positive and go with they were wrong argument.

Are those the type of people we want to look to for guidance? Those who were wrong at all the critical moments?

Shaw, as others have posited, the bill is not perfect, and not "left" enough for me, but it is a start.

I hope the Dems are steeling themselves for the repeal wars!

Arthurstone said...

Dave typed:

"I hope the Dems are steeling themselves for the repeal wars!"

I'm sure they are.

I imagine Chief Justice Roberts for one is eager to have a whack at this legislation but I doubt it will happen.

Far too many precedents have already been set and by the time any case winds it's way to the supremes the legislation will have taken firm root. Our Washington State Attorney has signed onto the lawsuit various Repubs are launching but I think that's a play for contributions for a run for governor.

Nonetheless it will remain very interesting for the indefinite future.