Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Sunday, November 7, 2010

MENTAL HEALTH BREAK

"Some years ago--never mind how long precisely-- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me."



"Now small fowls flew screaming
over the yet yawning gulf;
a sullen white surf beat
against its steep sides;
then all collapsed,
and the great shroud of the sea rolled on
as it rolled five thousand years ago."



--Herman Melville, Moby Dick

11 comments:

TAO said...

Ah Shaw, honey...

Nothing wrong with your mental health and I doubt with your taking a break that it will make the rest of the world appear any saner...

But do relax and refresh...it is a beautiful world still!

Charlene said...

Seek what ever valhalla you need. We all have one.

K. said...

Nothing wrong with a little (or a lot) of time off. But don't miss Citizen K. tomorrow -- you will appreciate the synchronicity with your entry today.

We'll miss you!

Sue said...

so, you're going on a cruise?? I hope it's in celebration of your ending treatments and positive results!! Take care of yourself Shaw, we'll be here when you get back!

Dave Miller said...

hang tough shaw...

JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

Get off your ass and get back to work Shaw. There are tea baggers and republicans to berate. The very fools who are causing our mental health problems.

Leslie Parsley said...

I'm not totally sure what all this means but yes, you certainly deserve a mental health break. Just wish I could break with you. Peace and love.

Shaw Kenawe said...

I'm not going anywhere, yet. I just needed to get away from politics for a day or so.

The opening paragraph posted is the opening to Herman Melville's great novel "Moby Dick."

I left off the first sentence, "Call me Ismael," since that would have been a give-away.

In a nice coincidence, Citizen K, over at his blog, has posted the LAST lines to Melville's epic tale.

I'm a regular reader of Andrew Sullivan's blog, and from time to time, he posts "Mental Health" items that have nothing to do with politics.

Wouldn't it be fun to post great passages in world literature on our blogs once in a while?

Thanks guys for your very thoughtful comments. And, yes! You too, TRUTH! LOL!

We are a community, and I value your friendship.

Shaw Kenawe said...

I forgot to link to Citizen K's post.


One other thing, I misremembered part of the opening passage to MB as "...whenever it's November in my soul."

The correct passage:

"...whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul..."

This week in Boston, so far has truly been damp and drizzly.

Leslie Parsley said...

I knew it was MD alright but wasn't sure what you were planning. I think publishing art and bits of literature is a great idea. I do it from time to time just to get a break from politics as usual.

Diablo 3 items said...

Once again great post. You seem to have a good understanding of these themes.When I entering your blog,I felt this . Come on and keep writting your blog will be more attractive. To Your Success!