Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Saturday, July 27, 2024

GRATITUDE TODAY


Dear Readers, 

Nine years ago I did not think I would be celebrating this birthday. I had been diagnosed with a rare cancer (my 4th battle with it), but the geniuses at Massachusetts General Hospital had other ideas, and they used medical science to help me battle this cancer, and here I am.

I learned through the years that I've lived with Lynch Syndrome that the most precious gift we can give ourselves is gratitude. With gratitude comes love and peace and all the other positive emotions that see us through our most difficult times in life.

Today is a birthday I never thought I'd reach. But here I am, filled with gratitude for you, too, my readers, and love.



Remember 
by Joy Harjo 

Remember the sky that you were born under, 

know each of the star’s stories. 

Remember the moon, know who she is. 

Remember the sun’s birth at dawn, 

that is the strongest point of time. 

Remember sundown and the giving away to night. 

Remember your birth, how your mother struggled 

to give you form and breath. 

You are evidence of her life, and her mother’s,  and hers. 

Remember your father. He is your life, also. 

Remember the earth whose skin you are: 

red earth, black earth, yellow earth, 

white earth brown earth, we are earth. 

Remember the plants, trees, animal life 

who all have their tribes, their families, their histories, too. 

Talk to them, listen to them. 

They are alive poems. 

Remember the wind. Remember her voice. 

She knows the origin of this universe. 

 Remember you are all people and all people are you. 

 Remember you are this universe and this universe is you. 

 Remember all is in motion, is growing, is you. 

 Remember language comes from this. 

 Remember the dance language is, that life is. 

 Remember.

19 comments:

Infidel753 said...

Congratulations on beating back the cancer demon! Happy birthday, and may there be many more.

That is an awesome poem.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Thank you.

Joy Harjo is an internationally renowned performer and writer of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation. She served three terms as the 23rd Poet Laureate of the United States from 2019-2022 and is winner of Yale's 2023 Bollingen Prize for American Poetry and the Poetry Society of America's 2024 Frost Medal.

bluzdude said...

Happy birthday, Shaw, we're so glad you're still here, fighting the horde that would happily take us back to the Dark Ages if it ensured their power. Keep up the battle!

Shaw Kenawe said...

Thank you, bluzdude, I really appreciate that!

BB-Idaho said...

Gosh! I thought Kamala was energetic, but you're right up there
battling through all that, working and running a popular blog.
You go girl!

JoMala "Truth 101" Kelly said...

You've always been my favorite. More happiness to you big sister.

Dave Dubya said...

Happy birthday, Shaw. Wonderful poem.

We, too, are happy you have survived.

Most of us past 60 can thank modern medicine and our good fortune to have access to it.'

Let's keep up our efforts for all Americans to enjoy their right to healthcare. There's no doubt that by every measure, we clearly ARE the good guys in this struggle.

Enjoy your special weekend.

Grey One talks sass said...

Gratitude is the message on my brain this day as well. Didn't know it was your natal day until I visited. I hope you have the best foods and the best company to help you celebrate your turn around the sun.

Thank you for the posted poem. It resonates and yes, I remember.

Anonymous said...

Greetings Shaw.
I can appreciate what you've endured because I have dealt with cancer three times myself. I also appreciate your efforts to provide a civil forum for debate. Kind regards. Marcus from CT

Shaw Kenawe said...

BB-Idaho said..."Gosh! I thought Kamala was energetic, but you're right up there
battling through all that, working and running a popular blog.
You go girl!"

I didn't like to speak about my battles because, well, trolls.

But I did want to acknowledge that I faced something difficult and got through it, thanks to medical science and my health care coverage. My case was only one of a few hundred that the oncologists at Mass. General had ever seen.

As Dave Dubya said, we want all Americans who face health challenges to be as fortunate as I was in having the best and brightest doctors and health care workers.

I'm grateful that I live in a city with some of the best health care facilities in the WORLD, and that I had the health care coverage to get me through this without having to declare bankruptcy or ask for help on a "Go Fund Me' page. More than a few of our fellow Americans have to do that to get the health care they need to stay alive.



Shaw Kenawe said...

JoMala "Truth 101" Kelly said..."You've always been my favorite. More happiness to you big sister."

Thank you little brother. You're the best.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Dave Dubya: "Let's keep up our efforts for all Americans to enjoy their right to healthcare. There's no doubt that by every measure, we clearly ARE the good guys in this struggle."

Isn't it amazing that most of the civilized world manages to deliver universal health care, but this country has been battling certain special interests so that ALL Americans have access to it.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Grey One talks sass,

I try to remember to be grateful every day, especially when things are not going well.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Thank you Marcus. I hope you vist again and comment again.

Craig said...

Happy birthday Shaw. Your blog `is part of my daily morning read, right after slogging through the nasty bilge water that is the comment section on the Mother Ship. Why do I subject myself to the ignorance, cruelty, misogyny, racism, disinformation, etc? I like to know what's up in the Magaverse, even if it is dispiriting. It strengthens the gratitude I have for people like you and your readers for the decency, empathy, intelligence, humor and adherence to realty I find here. A nice palate cleanser.

Have a good day, good health and keep goats in your life.

P.S. I'm sending a small donation to the Harris campaign today. This one is in honor or your B-day. I hope we all can contribute in some way.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Craig,

Thank you! As I said in my post, I am grateful for my readers and their contributions to this blog.

I read the Mother Ship almost daily as well, and for the same reasons.

I’ve signed up for a monthly contribution to VP Harris’s campaign and will do my small part to get her elected.

Thank you for being part of this community!

Dave Miller said...

Gratitude from us too Shaw. It's great to be able to wish you a super Feliz Cumpleaños from Guadalajara.

I hope you enjoyed some cake.

Les Carpenter said...

Guess my first comment got lost in the web's dark matter.

With gratitude for your presence in these moments as well as gratude for the beautiful poem and post.

🙏 Namaste

Anonymous said...

HE BE MY BEST TO