Thursday, September 24, 2015
Presidents Bush and Obama on Muslims
Here’s a fun game. Here are some statements from Presidents Obama and Bush.
See if you can guess who said which.
1) “Ours is a war not against a religion, not against the Muslim faith. But ours is a war against individuals who absolutely hate what America stands for.”
2) “They’re terrorists. And we are not at war with Islam. We are at war with people who have perverted Islam.”
3) “Our war is not against Islam, or against faith practiced by the Muslim people. Our war is a war against evil.”
4) “Our enemy doesn’t follow the great traditions of Islam. They’ve hijacked a great religion.”
5) “Given the…nature of the enemy — which is not a traditional army — this work takes time, and will require vigilance and resilience.”
6) “The terrorists do not speak for over a billion Muslims who reject their hateful ideology.”
7) “The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself.”
8) “How do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities — the profound good…the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious for their own murderous ends?”
9) “There are thousands of Muslims who proudly call themselves Americans, and they know what I know — that the Muslim faith is based upon peace and love and compassion.”
10) “This great religion in the hands of a few extremists has been distorted to justify violence.”
Answers to Bush-Obama language quiz:
The extremists on the right who believe Mr. Obama is an Islam-loving, Commie, Kenyan, Muslim will ignore how their Christian Conservative President Bush defended and praised Islam -- which, of course, doesn't make HIM a Muslim, but it makes President Obama a Muslim. And we mustn't forget that Obama's middle name is Hussein, which proves he's a Muslim, because someone's given name is what makes that person a Christian, Muslim, Jew, or Pastafarian. The fact that President Obama identifies himself as a Christian is immaterial to the extreme haters on the right. Their detestation of this president is their life's blood; they feed on it and nourish their unhappy little souls with it. It's what holds them together in their tight little circle of hate.
If you repeat a lie often enough, -- in this case, that President Obama is a Muslim -- then you'll allow yourself and others to believe it's the truth. And if you really believe President Obama is a Muslim, all evidence to the contrary, you must be one of those people who call Americans "vermin" and one of those people who want to kick Americans out of their own country because of the religion they practice.
The Nazis demonized the Jews in the 1930s, blamed them and liberals for everything that was wrong with Germany. There isn't that much difference between what the Nazis said then and what the extremist wingnuts are saying now about Muslims (and libtards). They're just too blinded by their fear, loathing, and ignorance to see it for what it is.
"...all evidence points to the fact that Obama is a Christian. The members of the public who say he is a Muslim -- 18 percent, according to the Pew poll  -- are wrong, and we rate their statement Pants on Fire!"
From "Christianity Today:"
Obama Is Not a Muslim
Allegations that Barack Obama secretly practices Islam or is an atheist, or that he is the antichrist of Christian eschatology, have been suggested since he campaigned for the U.S. Senate in 2004 and have proliferated since his election as President of the U.S. in 2008.
As with conspiracy theories surrounding his citizenship status, these false claims are promoted by various fringe theorists and political opponents, with American bloggers and talk radio hosts particularly promoting the theories.
And then there are the more egregiously dumb who use doctored videos to "prove" President Obama is a MOSLEM!
"The video in the link is actually a compendium of intercut, out-of-context statements taken from various interviews with Barack Obama in which he discussed Islam in general (as well as his childhood exposure to Islam), and from addresses delivered by President Obama to areas of the world with predominantly Muslim audiences for the purpose of "creat[ing] a better dialogue so that the Muslim world understands more effectively how the United States, but also how the West thinks about many of these difficult issues like terrorism, like democracy, to discuss the framework for what's happened in Iraq and Afghanistan and our outreach to Iran, and also how we view the prospects for peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians."
The above is a somewhat complicated explanation of why President Obama (as well as his predecessor, GWB) do not condemn the Muslim religion. But the rightwing nutjobs can't understand something as nuanced as presidents not wanting to make a difficult situation worse by stirring up hatred against the world's 1.2 billion Muslims. The absence of malice toward non-jihadist Muslims by President Obama (and GWB) is the only proof needed, to the simple-minded, that Mr. Obama is a Muslim.