Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Sunday, May 2, 2021

Men in Grief

 

Last month, on March 26, our family suffered a terrible loss. My nephew's wife, whom we all loved and cherished, died from breast cancer. She was only 57 years old. 

Xenia was a brilliant, beautiful woman of many talents with a generous and loving heart.

Our family will never be the same without her.

Her husband, my nephew, composed this brief anthem years ago for an independent film maker. Kevin uploaded it to YouTube in a beautiful tribute to his beloved wife of 38 years.


Xenia on her wedding day.







kevin callahan music  

"In the summer of 1995, my wife and I were running along the edge of the Puget Sound and noticed the most beautifully designed and constructed fence. We contacted the carpenter, Paul Holt, and contracted him to do some work on our front porch. As he was hammering away, I was playing Piazzolla on the stereo. Paul heard the music, said he was a documentary filmmaker and was making a film about “Men in Grief”. He asked if I could write a short theme “something like that, but much simpler”. So I went to my basement studio, composed and recorded this piece, and gave it to him a couple of hours later. 

When my wife passed away in March, 2021, my brother Tom reminded me of the recording. I never notated “Men in Grief” until now, April 2021, some 26 years later. The PDF score can be found here: 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/YeslerWayMusic




 

3 comments:

Jerry said...

Sorry for your loss. And so young. Sad.

Bluebullamerica said...

So very sorry for your loss. May peace be a constant companion to you and yours.

skudrunner said...

They say it gets easier but I am not sure that is true.