Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Mikhail Baryshnikov

 



By Mikhail Baryshnikov 🇺🇦
It’s been almost 50 years since I lived in Russia, and I’ve spent those years living in a free society, but I grew up in Latvia as the son of a Russian military officer in what was then the USSR. My family was part of an occupying population, but even occupied Latvia was more open, and more European, than Russia at that time. So, I am a product of Europe, of Russia and, of course, of America. For what they are worth, my thoughts are filtered through this specific lens.
From the start of the invasion of Ukraine by the armies of Vladimir Putin, I’ve felt deep dread and a certainty that this will be a bloody and horrific conflict. I understood immediately that this move of the Russian army was more threatening than the so-called annexation of Crimea and the separatist insurgency in the Donbas region.
Ukrainians have always been, and still are, friends, neighbors and family. The relationship between the Russian and Ukrainian peoples has been one of easy fluidity between languages, between cultures and between borders. The two countries are incredibly interwoven, but with an awareness and appreciation of subtle cultural differences.
I can’t begin to understand why people would trust and follow a leader like Putin, but Russians historically have struggled under oppressive and brutal leadership. How they end up with such leaders I can’t answer. There are dozens of books to be written on this subject, but let’s remember that even in the free and democratic society in which I live, a shocking percentage of Americans appear to believe outlandish theories related to a “stolen” 2020 election. What this tells me is that ignorance of history and nationalistic fervor are not exclusive to any one country.
I refuse to paint all Russians with the same brush and I think Putin appeals to those who are fearful. I suppose he makes them feel safe in the same way all authoritarian leaders make their people feel protected. It’s a false sense of security because, of course, any day, the protected can easily become the persecuted.
I can’t affect politics or throw Molotov cocktails, and I am not competent to give any thoughts or advice on the matter of what kind of help the U.S., NATO or the Europeans could or should provide to the Ukrainians, but the least I can do is help as many refugees as possible. That’s why I am honored to have been invited by the great writer Boris Akunin and economist Sergei Guriev to join them in launching truerussia.org. I don’t know if True Russia’s humanitarian plea will be seen by citizens of Russia, but the beauty of cyberspace is that it might. They need to know what is being done in their name.
Again, I wouldn’t be worth much as a fighter, but when the Ukrainians are victorious, I would be honored to go and thank them for fighting. In fact, they aren

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

DNC Chairman Jamie Harrison, on the GOP: “It is a party built on fraud, fear and fascism. They don’t deserve to be in power.”

Shaw Kenawe said...

Conservative Charlie Sykes:

"These are awkward days for Putin fans of various ideological stripes. As scenes of Russian atrocities flash across televisions, it’s increasingly awkward for many of the political and media figures who had lavished praise on the genius, patriotism, and savvy of Vladimir Putin.

This, for example, has not aged well:

“I do respect him. Well, I respect a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean I’ll get along with them,” [Donald] Trump told O'Reilly.

O'Reilly pressed on, declaring to the president that “Putin is a killer.”

Unfazed, Trump didn't back away, but rather compared Putin's reputation for extrajudicial killings with the United States'.

“There are a lot of killers. We have a lot of killers,” Trump said. “Well, you think our country is so innocent?”

When Putin launched his invasion, Trump was still gushing:

“Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine — Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful. ‘I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. ... We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. There were more army tanks than I’ve ever seen. They’re gonna keep peace all right. No, but think of it. Here’s a guy who’s very savvy.”

Trump went on to rhapsodize about his relationship with Putin — “He liked me. I liked him.” — and to praise him as someone with a lot of “charm and a lot of pride” who “loves his country.”

But that was thousands of war crimes ago. Burned and mangled bodies. Dead children. Bombed homes. Cruelty and savagery that has horrified the world.

Trump still occasionally slips and asks Putin for favors, but apologias for the Monster of Bucha have become increasingly toxic.

Long gone are the days when a smiling Tucker Carlson could casually declare on Fox News: “Why do I care what is going on in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia? I'm serious. Why shouldn't I root for Russia? Which by the way I am."


Twitter avatar for @NikkiMcR
nikki mccann ramírez

Shaw Kenawe said...

Here's the link to the Sykes article.

Dave Miller said...

Slightly off topic...

Never a fan of ballet, my then girlfriend was. So smart guy that I was, I bought us tickets to see some Russian dancer at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles.

And there we were... me at like 18 years old and Chelle, all of 17, dressed as best as we could, watching Baryshnikov dance.

It was magical.

I'm still not a big fan, but that night brought me a strong appreciation of the art and lots of goodwill from a wonderful young girl.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Dave, Wow! You saw Baryshnikov perform live! I'm so jealous!

I've loved ballet, since I was a girl and took lessons from E. Virginia Williams, who started the Boston Ballet company!

Unfortunately, I was too tall to be a ballerina -- I was 5 foot 7 inches and 100 lbs.! and en pointe I would have been over 5 ft., 8 inches! Too tall and too much weight at that time. I think it may be different now.

The ideal for a ballerina would be 5ft 1 or 2 inches and weighing 80 lbs.

Anonymous said...

Never a fan of ballet per se my respect for the discipline, conditioning, and athletic skill certainly is present.

possumlady said...

I've always had a crush on Baryshnivkov, since seeing the movie The Turning Point (even though he played a total cad). I also was able to see him perform live at the Kennedy Center in the mid-80s in Giselle.

I too took ballet lessons. Had the height at 5'2", but definitely not the weight - LOL!

Shaw Kenawe said...

possumlady, so we're both frustrated ballerinas!

I did manage a part in our town's "Nutcracker" as Queen of the Flowers before I got too tall!

Baryshnivkov had it all: skill, grace, and drop-dead looks!

Anonymous said...

If we are so outraged (and we should be) about the atrocities Putin is committing, then we should be doing more to stop it.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Anon: "If we are so outraged (and we should be) about the atrocities Putin is committing, then we should be doing more to stop it."

Other than supplying Ukraine with weapons and strategic advice, what do you propose? Sending American military to fight with the Ukrainians? Bombing Russia?

Do you and others understand what the consequences of those actions would be? Not just for the US, but for the Ukraine and the rest of Europe?

BluebullAmerica said...

It is so inspiring to hear about Ukrainians of all professions, ages, genders, and abilities pulling together to defend their homeland. I remember when I though Americans would do the same, back before King Clorox and his merry band of insaniacs.