Monday, February 19, 2018
Here's a Presidents' Day Quiz
via Daily Kos:
1. “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons” was said by which president?
A) Wilson B) Hoover C) Reagan
2. Which president resigned as a Life Member of the NRA after Wayne LaPierre shot his big mouth off by calling federal law-enforcement agents “jack-booted thugs”?
A) Clinton B) Bush Sr. C) Kennedy
3. Who was president when NRA head Karl Frederick said in 1938: “I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses.” A) Jefferson B) Taft C) FDR
4. Which president wrote: [T]he NRA has been able to mislead many gullible people into believing that our weapons are going to be taken away from us, and that homeowners will be deprived of the right to protect ourselves and our families. There are no real threats to our "right to bear arms," as guaranteed by the US Constitution. A) Carter B) Ford C) Obama
5. Which president rescinded a previous president’s order that, according to AP, would have kept 75,000 people with mental disorders from being able to purchase a firearm?
A) Bush Jr. B) Trump C) Nixon
6. Which president signed a gun control bill into law, but blamed the gun lobby for watering it down, saying: “The key to effective crime control remains, in my judgment, effective gun control. And those of us who are really concerned about crime just must, somehow, someday, make our voices felt. … We have been through a great deal of anguish these last few months and these last few years, too much anguish to forget so quickly.”
A) Truman B) LBJ C) Clinton
7. Which president called guns “an abomination” and also called for licensing of all hunting rifles and a ban on handguns---but only after he’d left office?
A) Nixon B) Eisenhower C) T. Roosevelt
8. Who called on Congress to restore the ban on military-style assault weapons and enforce a 10-round limit for magazines because the combination of assault weapons and high-capacity clips “has one purpose: to pump out as many bullets as possible, as quickly as possible…using bullets often designed to inflict maximum damage”? (Republicans ignored his call to action.)
A) Clinton B) Carter C) Obama
Answers to the questions are C, B, C, A, B, B, A, C. The answer to getting Republicans to stop sacrificing our kids on the alter of the gun industry, as usual, escapes me.
Also, on Presidents' Day here's something to remember: After the revelations and indictments in the Russia scandal by special counsel Mueller on Friday, so-called POTUS DJT lashed out at the Democrats, the FBI, Oprah, etc., everyone except Russia. That is strange. We wonder why Trump continues to be so nice to the country that attacked America during the 2016 elections.
"We’ve just hit a new presidential low In a remarkable set of tweets over the weekend, the commander in chief sounded off on new revelations about the extent of Russia’s campaign to undermine our electoral system. His response: to lash out at his political adversaries and the institutions that are charged with keeping the country safe. "
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump If it was the GOAL of Russia to create discord, disruption and chaos within the U.S. then, with all of the Committee Hearings, Investigations and Party hatred, they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. They are laughing their asses off in Moscow. Get smart America! 8:11 AM - Feb 18, 2018 104K 80K people are talking about this Twitter Ads info and privacy
"What was missing — tellingly so — was any indication that he plans to do anything against the perpetrators themselves. Dereliction of duty."