Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Honoring the Men of B Company 3rd Ranger Battalion of 22 Years Ago Today




My nephew, second from the left in the photo:


My nephew writes about it today:

Today marks 22 years since 18 U.S. Soldiers were killed and 73 wounded during ‪#‎operationgothicserpent‬ in ‪#‎mogadishu‬ Somalia on October 3rd, 1993. Every year, i run the ‪#‎mogadishumile5k‬ with my ‪#‎ranger‬ buddies to honor our airborne rangers in the sky and pay respects to how the men of B co 3rd Ranger Battalion had to run from the scene of the grizzly battle back to the safety of their base without the benefit of cover and with only the ammo left over after the sustained fighting. ‪#‎rangersleadtheway‬ ‪#‎RLTW‬ ‪#‎remember‬‪#‎TSAF‬ ‪#‎thisshitaintfree‬

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to your nephew, and thank you to him for his service.

Dave Miller said...

Amen to that Anon... I'm not sure why some think only a certain group of folks serve, or respects our soldiers...

Shaw, was he part of the battle memorialized in the movie?

Shaw Kenawe said...

I should have made it clearer in the post, Dave. My nephew is a US Army Ranger, and he participates in the run that memorializes what happened 22 years ago. I fix the title to make that clear.

Shaw Kenawe said...

And in reference to what you wrote -- my nephew's father is a retired US Army Bird Colonel who served in Operation Desert Storm.

My grandson, who is in the Navy, is currently serving on the USS James E. Williams (DDG-95), an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer in the United States Navy, somewhere at sea.

Dave Miller said...

I remember that phrase from my brother... Somewhere at sea... I pray your grandson is safe... The Navy's a good place to be...

Kevin Robbins said...

My admiration to your nephew for being tough enough to be a Ranger and best wishes for your grandson.

(O)CT(O)PUS said...

Kudos to your nephew and grandson and many thanks for their service. FYI: My daughter Jennifer is a veteran of Desert Storm and currently at the Pentagon.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Many many thanks to your daughter for her service to our country. I know from what you've shared that she is incredibly brave and we salute her for her courage and service.