Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Take a break from politics and have a look at lithops:

 


Lithops are South African plants that look like stones.







Lithops is a genus of succulent plants in the ice plant family, Aizoaceae. 

Members of the genus are native to southern Africa. The name is derived from the Ancient Greek words λίθος (líthos) 'stone' and ὄψ (óps) 'face', referring to the stone-like appearance of the plants. They avoid being eaten by blending in with surrounding rocks and are often known as pebble plants or living stones. The formation of the name from the Ancient Greek -ops means that even a single plant is called a Lithops.

3 comments:

Grey One talks sass said...

After turning in my homework I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the break.


These plants are awesome and something I might be able to keep alive. I used to have a green thumb but disease, living conditions, and multiple concussions over my life have turned it grey like the rest of me.

Beauty really does refill the soul.

possumlady said...

How cool is that! I love learning about new things, especially in regard to nature...

Thanks!

Mike said...

Interesting. I've never heard of these.