Paul Revere by Cyrus Dallin, North End, Boston

~~~

~~~

Saturday, September 23, 2023

SATURDAY NIGHT MUSIC

 


My nephew, Kevin Callahan, classical guitar composer and performer, premiered his newest concerto in July of 2023: The Myth of Persephone

I find it hauntingly beautiful. Enjoy:




  


 "Kevin Callahan's understanding of how to write for the guitar idiomatically, his effortless fluidity in combining influences from outside genres to form an utterly unique sound palette, his innovative use of compositional forms, and his ability to compose music that challenges the intellects of trained musicians while still appealing to general audiences makes him, in my opinion, the best composer for the guitar alive today (and I do not say that lightly). 

This groundbreaking concerto is one of the most significant additions to the guitar repertoire in recent memory, and I sincerely hope that it gets the recognition that it so justly deserves. More importantly, I hope that this concerto (as well as the rest of Callahan's extraordinary catalogue) inspires future guitarist-composers to find their own artistic voices and make their own advances in the guitar repertoire. And, of course, bravi tutti to Maestro Jara, Professor Rowan, and the rest of the excellent musicians who performed on this recording! Thank you to all of you for giving us this wonderful gift." --Thatcher Harrison

3 comments:

Les Carpenter said...

I think your description hauntingly beautiful is most true. I found myself immersed in the haunting expressions of Kevin's composition. Kevin is a very gifted composer in classical guitar genre.

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

Sorry. Great riffs, but connected by a little too much atonality for my taste.

Dave Dubya said...

Beautiful.
I love the counterpoint melodies and the "percussion section" of handclaps and finger drumming on the guitars.
The crickets add a nice effect.
I have an acoustic recording of myself and a couple friends on the back porch one nice September evening 30 years ago also embellished by crickets. I played upright bass while they played their guitars.
Modern classical music is almost always defined by atonal passages.
If -FJ prefers riffs, Black Sabbath and Metallica might be more in his wheelhouse.